About Me

My photo
Baltimore, Maryland
I am a graduate student in the Publication Design program at the University of Baltimore. I think the process can be just as interesting, if not more so, than the results. I love reading, writing, well, sometimes I enjoy writing, skiing, hiking and being outdoors in general. I like exploring popular culture through graphic design, and I have a bad habit of not abandoning myself to my passions.

Monday, October 19, 2009

show and tell, call to action on a rugby field



Here is the image I brought in for show and tell, or rather forgot to bring in. It's an add for Amnesty International, and the copy reads, "Thousands are held prisoner for their beliefs in places worse than this. Write until you free them all." I think that is a pretty bold call to action. I wish I was more affected by it.

Maybe I've grown cold and cynical, but I have trouble believing letters are going to convince a cruel regime to change its ways. I guess that is the challenge for Amnesty International advertisers: to overcome peoples' cynicism. I think this is a very cool add, but I have difficulty believing this will get people to start writing letters. I think I feel so because the man in the add looks too hale and hearty. Granted, he is very dirty, and his head is shaved. But he looks like he could be at the bottom of a rugby scrum. He needs to be skinnier and malnourished looking, with maybe some lacerations. Nothing so shocking that a viewer would be repulsed, but this guy looks like he could kick my ass in the forty-yard dash.

I believe I used "scrum" incorrectly. I should have said he was at the bottom of a rugby tackle. Scrum is where they lock shoulders and push eachother around.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers