About Me

My photo
Baltimore, Maryland
I am a graduate student in the Publication Design program at the University of Baltimore. I think the process can be just as interesting, if not more so, than the results. I love reading, writing, well, sometimes I enjoy writing, skiing, hiking and being outdoors in general. I like exploring popular culture through graphic design, and I have a bad habit of not abandoning myself to my passions.

Thursday, December 10, 2009

what I'm aiming for


This is kind of what I'm going for with my repackaging product. I like the black and white illustration and the typography used in these examples. I'm leaning towards the old Snake Oil Medicine tonic look. Kind of like this

I love the illustrations and the decorative (can I use that word?) scroll work and borders. 

This illustration is absolutely beautiful and is exactly what I was originally going for with my St. Vivian's Miracle hangover remedy. The woman is clearly a mother, which fits perfectly with the Pedialyte repackaging; who better to know the benefits of Pedialyte than a mother? If I could find a good quality example of this illustration, I would totally use it. Comments? 

Here is another great example. I love the font. I think I have seen it, or one like it, on DAfont. I also really like the embelishments and decorations, yes I said decorations, that border the text. There has to be a name for this kind of embellishment that was popular during the 1800's. It's bannery, planty, sometimes sculpturey, and it's almost always used to delineate or accentuate text. Does anybody know if this kind of illustration has a name. I think the use of this kind of illustration is totally acceptable and I don't think it violates any laws of graphic design like, Thou Shall Not Decorate, or something like that. Of course I'm probably wrong.

1 comment:

  1. I would be heartbroken if your current St. Vivian disappeared from your project. Personally I don't think that you need to change the image or even make a separate can with a Chippendale's guy. I understand that the audience would be wider if you were to do that, but there are plenty of products out there that are marketed only to men, and if you think that's who your audience, then I say go for it. The goal of the project was to repackage a product for a new audience, not to make sure that your product caters to every audience and sells to everyone. But those're just my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete

Followers